During several implementations of Project Management Offices, the Macrosolutions realized that an area dedicated to communication can significantly help the organization to create and maintain the synergy needed for the effective communication between the various programs and projects within portfolios.
In order to provide differentiated services to their customers, the Macrosolutions has developed an exclusive method of communication which ensures the best use of the current information for decision making. The methodology incorporates the best practice of the agile models (Scrum and XP) and reporting models by exception (PRINCE2) in a solid, simple and efficient structure.
All these works come from the combined use of information obtaining models, data storage models and innovative techniques for distributing and reporting the information.
Key issues addressed
- No existing project communication process;
- Errors, failures and conflicts caused by communication noise
- Excessive informality in dealing with information
- Ineffective reports for decision making
- Low reliability on the communication conventional channels
- Poor, chaotic or incomplete decision making due to the lack or not accurate information
Scope of work
- Current communications model Diagnosis
- Existing media assessment
- Communication process - key players Identification("Personas")
- Communication strategy Development
- Business and operational models report Development (Projects, Programs and Portfolios)
- Communications Plan Development
- Structuring the media using traditional models and web 2.0
- Implementation of the Communications agenda
- Meetings Planning and Managing
- Meetings Techniques Coaching
- Assisted Operation
- Work complexity [?]
- Low to medium
- Client's team (minimum required) [?]
- 1 Project Manager and 1 Project Analyst
- Client's team allocation x Macrosolutions team allocation [?]
- 25% Client's Team
75% Macrosolutions' Team
- Organizational level of coverage [?]
- Corporate: ★★★★★
- Language(s) [?]
- Portuguese, English, Spanish
Supported standards and methodologies
Project Management Institute (PMI) PMBOK® Guide Yes PMI Practice Standard for Estimating — PMI Practice Standard for Earned Value Management — PMI Practice Standard for Configuration Management — PMI Practice Standard for Risk Management — PMI Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structure — PMI Practice Standard for Scheduling — PMI Standard for Portfolio Management Yes PMI Standard for Program Management Yes PMI Project Manager Development Competency Framework Yes Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3)® Yes UK Office of Government Commerce (OGC) PRINCE2 (Projects in Controlled Environments) Yes MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) — M_O_R (Management of Risks) — P3M3 (Portfolio, Programme, and Project Management Maturity Model) Yes P3O (Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices) Yes MoP (Management of Portfolios) Yes MoV (Management of Value) Yes Scrum Alliance Scrum Methodology Yes International Project Management Association (IPMA) ICB® IPMA Competence Baseline Yes
Areas: approach comprehensiveness
Area Comprehensiveness Integration ★★★★★ Scope Time Cost Quality Human Resource Communications ★★★★★ Risk Procurement EHS Strategic Planning Optional
Additional Information Top ↑
The communications management is the gathering of all the elements necessary for the appropriate generation, collection, dissemination and storage of project information.
In project management a high percentage of conflicts, frustrations and inefficiencies in relation comes from the poor communication.
"The ability to communicate is undoubtedly the most important individual skill of a successful project manager." - Ricardo Vargas
The flaw in the project requirement interpretation, doubts in the change request, a committed but not met date are the results of a communication break.
Another important factor to be observed throughout the dimension of the communications process has direct relationship with the existing support type. Cultural, moral, religious and even tempers and emotions aspects directly influence how people encode and decode parts of the project information
Therefore only an experienced and skilled consulting in the communications process can very fast set the needed communications with minimal noise.